It’s almost Friday which has me all like 🎉 🍷!
Am I the only one? No. Can’t be. It’s nearly back-to-school time for a lot of children which prob has tons of parents all like double party time 🎉 🎉 ! My mom always seemed to enjoy when we were outta school … but I know she was more than likely in the minority. Love you, mom! So, cheers to the almostweekend and cheers to almostbacktoschooltime!
After a crazy and hectic past two weeks of deciding to get married, planning a wedding, getting married, finding an independent living condo (!!) for my FIL to move into just a couple miles up the road and having visitors non-stop for awhile (still), I’m ready to come down for a minute (or day/week/month) and just chillllll. For real, yo. I feel like I need about 5 days to sleep and clean and get some groceries in the house because our current fridge situation looks like a group of bachelor’s are living here. Read: beer, beer, more beer, Cokes, water bottles and the only healthy things in the house right now: eggs, sweet potatoes and avocados. I love a husband who runs to Costco for things and always brings me a 24 count of organic eggs whether it’s on his list or not. A man after my own heart!
Last year, around March-ish, I played around with one of those meal delivery subscriptions, and while I loved it, it was pricey and we were eating out so much that we were wasting even the few meals we got each week. Fast forward 1.5 years and I just signed up for another (different) service because homegirl is ready to take control of life again, which includes regularly meal planning!
I’m looking forward to receiving our first Sun Basket order in a couple weeks. I will report back to you how I like it. I for sure like that I just paid $35 for ingredients and step-by-step directions for 6 organic meals to be delivered to my house that I won’t have to plan or shop for. Okay, I’m not gunna lie, I sorta have a problem with the step-by-step instructions for myself, cause I’m like “obviously I will chop the onion before putting it into the pan”, but they’re great for my husband who might not know the difference between broiling and boiling something. Just kiddin’, babe. Kind of.
Anyway. On to the workout!
This morning, and every Thursday morning for that matter, I teach a class at the local gym called H.I.I.T., or high intensity interval training. It’s 30 minutes of sweaty fun, and of all the classes I teach, requires the most planning. I know the crew who makes it to this 8:15 a.m. class are super dedicated and want a hard workout, because, well, that’s early. 💤 They work their asses off, literally, and we don’t take a break the whole class. Of course we drink water, but we usually do it while we’re on the spin bike or transitioning from one station to the next, so there’s that.
This morning’s workout was particularly demanding of muscular endurance. I know these gym rats take quite a few classes, so I like to challenge them differently each week, and thought a leg burner would be fun for a change of pace.
How to Do the Workout
- Warmup for 8-12 minutes.
- In a circuit style manner, complete each exercise for 90 seconds. Take a quick breather if you need to, then complete each exercise for 60 seconds, and finally, complete each exercise for 30 seconds.
- Wipe the sweat off your face. Drink water. Stretch. Be done. ✌
Some notes about the exercises:
- Have the option of doing body weight walking lunges, weighted walking lunges, or perhaps even do some biceps curls or overhead presses as you walk and lunge.
- Arrange 4 objects in a straight line. Hop over each object. Turn around and repeat. Today we used weight plates. In the past I’ve used yoga blocks (stacking more for an extra challenge) or simply using the lines in the floor to hop over.
- Turn a BOSU ball upside down and balance on the flat black part. With feet wide, drive through the heels and engage the inner thighs and pelvic floor muscles as you perform a basic squat.
- Hop on the ole spin bike! This is where you can have a built-in break if needed or really haul ass and make it hard. If you don’t have access to a spin bike, try step-ups here instead.
- Jump rope … need I say more? Try jumping jacks if you hate the rope.
- Renegade rows – always the option do just do the pushups or just do the rows.
- Dynamic plank – move from forearm plank to hand plank.
Let me know if you give this HIIT workout a try!